Tori Gates




I decided to try creating the tori gate for the animation not digitally. I really liked the tori gates I did at the beginning of this project in ink, so I thought why not try using something like that in the animation. It also meant I would be able to feature more of my ink drawings in the final piece, I was apply about this because I had learnt a lot about using ink for this project, and previously in Emma Stibbon’s workshop.

I made a few ink drawings, but was struggling to draw the tori gate from a slightly side facing angle, as it would need to be like this for the fox to walk through it. After a few practices I managed to make one I was happy with (the middle picture in this page). I used mark making techniques to try to create the effect that the tori gate was made from wood, and to give it an old feel. I think this is very effective, however I do think the gates might’ve been improved if I was able to use different colour inks, especially to show the tori gates being red, as this is a huge symbol of Fushimi Inari Shrine. However because of lock down I wasn’t able to acquire any red ink.

Comments

Popular Posts