Ink Background





During the tutorial I had where I decided to give this project another try Jasper suggested to try drawing the trees in ink, to make them kind of silhouettes. I did just this, and above are my experiments with ink. I’d used to use ink a lot a few years ago, and I had forgotten how much I love the medium. I did some artist research to get me to think about different ways I could use the ink, and different kinds of mark making.

I much prefer this way of drawing the trees to how I did them in the book. I think I was over complicating them, and since they’re just a background they look much better as silhouettes. The fact that they’re silhouettes also shows that it’s nice time without forcing myself to stick with a colour scheme I liked in one artists work. I was also still able to create a depth to the drawing much easier than previously by varying the ink to water ratio. 

The ink also allowed me to be more free, and draw less precisely. I think this helped because the precise drawing is what I got in my head about; trying to make lovely nice drawings. I always make better drawings when I’m not trying so hard, I guess because I’m not overthinking. 

Comments

Popular Posts