Sarah Maycock

After having a crit on the project, and showing what was originally meant to be my final piece, Jasper suggested that I try drawing the trees with Indian ink. I tried this out and I think it works much better than drawing them with fine liner as the ink allows them to flow and look more natural in form rather than being very precise, which is more like trees since they are natural and not man made.

I worked with the ink to create a short animation and found that the medium worked well for this because the ink stayed wet, so each but of the drawing didn’t look disjointed. When creating the animation I realised that I wanted to learn some other techniques with the ink to create texture. This led me to look at Sarah Haycock.





I tried out a few techniques I could see in her art. One of the most interesting things I saw was using think ink on a brush that isn’t very wet, so it creates a scratchy effect. I had learnt this in a previous workshop but it was a good reminder. I also observed that Maycock used an ink bleeding effect to create texture. I tried this out for myself and I think it would work well to create some shading in the trees, so the background isn’t so flat. Another thing that helped the background appear less flat is by varying the ink to water ratio to create lighter trees at the back. This is something I learnt and remembered from the workshop.

Comments

Popular Posts