Final Piece Mockup

The paintings on black paper are mock ups I made of possible drawings to go in the final book. I decided to use white acrylic paint and white pencil as these showed up the boldest again the black paper. They are also both mediums I worked with previously in the project, so I knew I could draw the character effectively with them.

I tried doing the negative space drawing again, as I had done in my sketchbook but this didn't work well. When doing it on the black paper with white acrylic it was definitely more effective, as the medium of paint works better than marker as it is less precise. I think this outcome is very effective as it forced me to be less precise with the line work, which lends itself to the simple way the character is drawn. The acrylic paint also made an interesting texture to have around the character, rather than just being blank, flat paper. It makes for a less boring image. The rough edges add to the rough character, it is not meant to be a perfect illustration. Instead I want the whole piece to be more raw.

The other two pieces (on both sides of one piece of paper) are redraws of images from my sketchbook. I chose these because I felt they were the most visually pleasing out of all the ways I had drawn the character in my sketchbook. I did try to improve them further when redrawing, not just copying them exactly.

The one that is a mix of acrylic paint and coloured pencil was made better when redrawn because of the variant in tone. All of the drawings of the character are quite flat, as it is such a simple line drawing. I am pleased with how this looks, however it is effective to add a bit of tone as it makes the actual lines of the character stand out. I also like the accidental layout of the character on the page. It is situated slightly off centre, and doesn't fill the whole page. This gives the character breathing space. The blank space around it makes the character bold, it also makes the character seem quite small. The blank space adds to the meaning behind the project; this is just one person within a big world.

On the flip side of the page is another redrawing, but with added text. The text is a quote from Nelson Mandela. This quote illustrates perfectly the intended meaning behind the final piece, and adding it encroaching on the character creates a feeling of claustrophobia, just like the claustrophobia of a person's struggles. It makes the character more sinister, I find that viewing the character after reading the quote makes it appear in a different way. The lines are drawn sharp and jagged with purpose. Also it makes a meaning in my choice to just use black and white, as the subject itself is quite depressing, so muted tones adds to this. I would criticize myself on this though, as I have just stumbled across this meaning. I used black and white originally because I like it, and prefer the aesthetics of this as opposed to working in colour.  It is also what I am more comfortable in, and since this is the first uni project I wanted to work somewhat comfortably, however the way I have drawn the character simplistically is not my usual style, so in one way I did at least try to get out of my comfort zone a little bit. In future projects I do want to experiment more in ways that I'm not used to. Exploring and experimenting does mean that I will stumble across things, which isn't a bad thing because I can learn from these things. For example in the future I should bare in mind that every element of a piece adds to the overall meaning, so I should choose things like colour more carefully.

Comments

Popular Posts