Medieval Research

 After deciding the design for the final pieces of the Constructive Visualization I research some medieval artists. I did this because the song that inspired the project has an old fashioned, pagan feel and I wanted to put an element of this into the outcomes.

The first artist I found was Bembo Bonifacio who was a renaissance paint born in 1420. I think my work in this project is similar to his because he illustrates a single scene with few subjects within it, but his work still tells a story. I looked at Bonifacio's work to pick out any elements I could use to give my work a similar feel. One of the things I picked out was that a lot of his work was the yellow background, and after carrying out some more artist research I found this a common theme with a lot of medieval and renaissance paintings. This would be an easy thing to recreate in my own work, that would be an obvious homage. Within this in Bonifacio's pieces have a recurring pattern in the background. This also my be something I could add into my work, but I've already planned to have the recurring ouroboros border to fit with a tarot card aesthetic, so I don't want to make the piece too busy with lots of recurring patterns.
 Simone Martini, was another Italian painter who's work is very similar to Bonifacio. Again Martini's pieces feature a very similar yellow/ gold background with a pattern. I prefer his style to Bonifacio's because the way he draws faces is more detailed and emotive. I prefer this because it is more effective at telling a story, or showing the emotion of the piece. I also prefer Martini's use of colour, as it is more muted.


Cimabue is another artist I looked at. Like Bonifacio he uses a lot of yellow, but it isn't always in the background. He uses the yellow instead as halos, because a lot of Cimabue's work is religious, was was a lot of artist's work in those times. I realized that a lot of the artists I looked at used a similar colour palette and a lot of muted tones. Using these in my own work would be another easy way to capture the medieval/ old fashioned feel.


Comments

Popular Posts