Final Pieces Continuation

As previously mentioned previously I decided to create a second piece for The Maypole Song. I returned to the song and my notes and chose two other subjects. These were the bird/ feather and the tree. I started by drawing some initial sketches, and decided to keep the gravestone in the second drawing, to keep a recurring theme throughout the two pieces and to make it obvious that they are a series.

I then continued to sketch the subjects I had chosen, and ended up putting them together in a composition that I liked. The composition also works with the tarot card theme that I got from doing the other final piece, because in tarot cards the drawing is usually central, to make it a bold motif on a small card.

After doing some sketches I composed and drew the final piece. However upon completion I didn't like the drawing. The birds nest isn't drawn or shaded well, and I don't think it works on top of the gravestone because it doesn't make sense and wouldn't be like that in real life. The tree and gravestone elements I want to keep because they make the drawing nice and centered, and draw attention to the main focus of the piece which would be the subject on top of the gravestone. This is why I decided to change the image on the gravestone to a bird rather than a nest. This would make more sense, and also a bird is more interesting than a nest. I want this piece to be eye catching and have a main 'character', just like the baby in the first piece. Another thing I don't like about the drawing is the line work. In my opinion it is boring and too simple compared to the line work for the other piece.

I researched birds and their meanings to fit into the tarot card theme, because the imagery on tarot cards are full of metaphors. After reading through a few articles I settled on a bluejay, as it can mean lifetime commitment, which fits into the theme of The Maypole Song. Then I drew lots of bluejays from reference photos to practice drawing their form, and to decide on how I wanted it to be posed on the gravestone. Once I chose the pose I did some initial sketches of how all the elements would fit together again, using the mock up final piece with the nest as reference.

Comments

Popular Posts