Creating the Final Pieces

After finishing the one day project I went back to doing some studies from reference photos. This then allowed me to select which gravestone and baby style I wanted for the final piece. I then put these elements together to create on of my final pieces. I really think that looking a variety of types of the elements really benefited the final piece, just like in the one day project. The addition of the ivy on the gravestone really added to the detail of the piece to make it more visually interesting. It also really adds to the narrative I wanted of the gravestone being old, and not fresh.

After drawing this final outcome the composition and subjects reminded me of tarot cards, so I decided to start making a border to put around the drawing. This allowed me to bring back the ouroboros element I'd decided that I wanted to include earlier in the project. Futhermore after having a 121 tutorial I decided to create another piece to go with the baby gravestone one, to further illustrate different elements of The Maypole Song.

I went on to experiment with how to draw the snake border, and the thing I had the most trouble with was how to draw the scales in a more simplified manner than actual snake scales, but detailed enough to fit in with the aesthetic of the main drawing. I am pleased with the snake border that I created, but I still think the way I draw it could be improved, especially the shape of the snake head. I will improve this by looking at and drawing from more snake reference photos.

Comments

Popular Posts