Final Outcome

For my final piece I created a single page book drawn by hand. I used white acrylic and pencil on black paper because I really liked how the mock ups turned out, as opposed to the white sketchbook paper. One side of the book is made up of drawings on individual pages, then if you turn the book inside out it folds out to a big poster. I like that the final piece is in two different formats, and the use of being able to turn the book into a poster means that if someone who bought it and displayed it somewhere in their home it would serve as a reminder. This makes the communication of the message even more effective than if it were just a book.

On the poster side I chose to just draw one of the characters with the message. The size of the text makes it easy to read. I hadn't drawn the character on this large of a scale before, and though I think the size makes it bold I could have experimented with adding more detail, as larger pieces allow for. Although again because of the design being so simplistic it does make a bold statement, which is effective for a poster as it would often be viewed from far away. Also when designing a poster you have to think about the fact that you're giving the piece of art to the audience to do with what they wish, so the boldness and space in the piece would allow for it be still make a bold statement and be effective communication even if it was on a wall with lots of other posters. I also like the hand painted lettering, as it gives a DIY feel to the piece, and throughout I've wanted to make it look raw and unpolished to go with the overall feeling of the message behind it. However I only tried one other version of this beforehand, and didn't really think about the spacing or style of the lettering. In future I should think about and experiment with the typography as much as I did the image. Also the text could be made better by drawing it out in pencil first, so the spacing is more consistent and I'm not worrying about cramming words in.

On the other side the poster can be folded easily into a book. On these pages I drew the character repeated in different styles, but with the same mediums throughout. Because I drew them all by hand, without drawing a guide in pencil first, all the versions of the character came out slightly different, which is effective because it would be boring to have exactly the same figure on each page. Also with the meaning behind the piece this means they could all be different people with different struggles. However some of the characters are just drawn better than others, so although they are meant to be different I could have planned this more. On the final pages of the book I did choose to use colour to add some variation, but I think these pages are the odd one are in the book, and stand out in a bad way. They are less cohesive. Again I could have planned this better, perhaps I could have used elements of the same colours throughout the book. This would have made these pages fit better with the overall piece. I also need to be careful when I feel myself getting bored. I may have drawn these characters over and over, but to the audience this is their first time seeing them. So for them the characters won't be boring. I need to consider this in my future projects, and not make rash decisions because I think I've drawn the character too similarly throughout. I only think this because I'm factoring in my sketchbook work to the final piece, which the audience won't see.

I also chose not to have text within the book. I think this is effective as it puts emphasis on the characters, and let's them communicate the message rather than having words to it for them. However  this can be a bad thing as the message could be miss communicated by just the images. Upon reflection I think it would have been better to add text, as the subject I am dealing with is very serious, so I should be careful in giving the wrong message or having it lost within the images. I can factor in the text on the poster side, but perhaps this isn't enough.

Comments

Popular Posts