Blind Drawing


A few days into the project we brought what we had done so far into Uni to continue working on it. I had a chat with Claire about how I felt a bit stuck. I wanted to make something that I was proud of and would 'truly represent' and I was so focused on that that I felt unable to create anything. Claire asked me out of what I had drawn for the project already was my favourite/ found the most enjoyable and that I should continue doing that. I love blind drawing and find it freeing as I'm not focusing on making a fantastic piece of work so I decided to just do lots of that.
 I think the blind drawings are very successful because as well as feeling more free I think the experimentations with colour and layout are very effective. I really like some of the characters that came out of it, for example the green child above and blue man bellow. I want to take some of these further and experiment with drawing them in different mediums. I also think they are odd and horror-like, which I find is usually what results from blind drawing as they have uncanny valley elements, so I want to try to create a horror/ thriller narrative or theme from them. This might also fit in with the weapons I drew from the source material previously.
I made a few large sheets of these blind drawings, and tried folding one into a book just to see how it would turn out. The accidental compositions were very interesting, and I plan to try to recreate some of these, with more planning, in a future book. To improve I should try different mediums, as after looking at the work I think the pens I used only create one quality of line, and it would be interesting to see the results of varying it. The blank white paper also creates a lot of space, which can be a good thing, but I think the work could be more interesting on varieties of surfaces.


Comments

Popular Posts