Rotoscoping





During a tutorial with Dave he suggested that I look at the rotoscope technique. To do rotoscoping you take frames from an existing video and draw over the top of them to create the animation.

I found some stock footage online of a dog running, and thought that it might be a good mock up for the fox statue. I initially couldn’t find any free stock footage of foxes. I drew over the video frame by frame, and this was very time consuming. I knew it would be time consuming, considering that there were roughly 50 frames, so I made sure the animation was just a simple line drawing. This was effective also because I was able to draw the dog pretty much the same way each time.

I thought I could possibly make small changes or colour the dog in a way that would look like a fox, but I wasn’t able to do this (as shown in the picture above). I was kind of annoyed by this because I spent so long on this animation, but it was my first time rotoscoping so it was a learning process. I feel like this animation would enable me to be more confident in executing rotoscoping better for the next animation, which I will definitely find fox stock footage for.

Comments

Popular Posts