Project Proposal

1. Reflection:


Throughout first year I have experimented with quite a wide range of materials. After looking back at previous projects I think the ones that worked best are watercolour, ink, coloured pencil and fine liner. I also think these were most effective when I used them in combination, but I didn’t do this too much. In my self directed project I plan to explore these materials further by creating more mixed media outcomes. I also used acrylic paint and markers in the first year, but I don’t think these worked as well since I just used them as a convenient way to add colour to my work.

I enjoyed blind drawing and rough sketching, even though there isn’t that much evident of this in my sketchbooks. I plan to do more of this as it is a quicker way of drawing ideas, and I actually think some of my sketches are better than my final pieces because I don’t put in as much effort to make the drawing perfect. I also recently explored collaging, where I learnt that collaging can just be a way of layering up drawings to experiment with composition, and also plan to do more of this. My final piece for the latest project was a stop motion animation, which was something I’d never done previously, and I think the outcome is really effective so I’d consider bringing this forward into the self directed project. One process from first year that didn’t work well was making precise drawings in fine liner.

I’ve always enjoyed nature, and the Investigation and Inspiration project was really the starting point for me to actually draw nature. I really liked doing these drawings, and the results, so I want to take this theme into the self directed project. Some ways that I could improve and learn from my work so far would be to stop trying to get reach an end result and to explore ideas more fully by sticking to one idea or subject for a while by drawing it in many different ways. I would also like to try to work outside of my sketchbook, but getting materials to do this, e.g. paper, might be hard because of the virus.

2. Theme:

I have two possible titles/ themes for this project, although they closely relate to each other. I would like to either do ‘Japanese Environment’, or just maybe Japan in general. I want to be very careful about narrowing my project down too much at this point, so perhaps it would be best to keep it open. However I don’t want to just be making random work with no point to it, so this is why I’m leaning more to wards ‘Japanese Environment’.

I chose this theme because I travelled to Japan recently and fell in love with the country, especially the nature, structures and environment. This will be a passion project, as well as a way to broaden my knowledge on Japanese environments. It will also be a way for me to express my love for nature, and to surround myself in environments that I can’t currently because of the current situation with the virus. Also I want to push myself to draw landscapes and backgrounds more, as it’s something I only started doing this year at Uni.

3. Research Process:

I will start the project by using my own photos as primary research, and I already have some observational drawings made whilst in Japan. I will expand on this by using documentaries, historical journals and academic resources on the history of Japan’s environment, and their sacred spaces. Also I want to look at Japanese art including woodblock prints and manga.

Some particular areas of interest I have are: to explore how Japanese people conduct themselves in the environment, the culture which surrounds some of their environments e.g. temples, and comparing our environment in the UK to theirs.

4. Aesthetics/ Visual Language:

Some things that I think makes my work unique are: blind drawings, layering and overlapping drawings, messy colouring using watercolour and shading through cross hatching. I don’t think I’ve explored any of these techniques fully yet, so I want to improve and develop them in this project by doing way more of each and carrying out artist research. Also I want to try using digital as a medium for these techniques as it will make it easier to later drawings and play around with composition. Lately I’ve been interested in composition and perspective, so I will also explore this further. Something I noticed that is part of my visual language is that I usually put a character, or a part of a character (e.g. the hair on the stars in When World’s Collide) in my drawings, this is because I like to tell a story, or have viewers imagine their own story. I definitely plan to feature this in my Self Directed Project, even if it is in a subtle way as the main focus of the project will be landscapes and environment.

5. Communication/ Audience:

I’m unsure of who my audience would be at this early of a stage of the project. I need to see how it develops to get more of an idea of what an appropriate audience would be. Although, I do have some ideas as to who the target audience could be. The project could be to possibly show people living in the UK a different part of Japanese culture, as Japan is quite well known for it’s technological advances, fashion and anime. I do realise that this is quite a wide audience so I hope to narrow down the target demographic further into the project. I also want the work to be peaceful and calming, so it might serve as a good distraction to an audience in light of current events.

6. Outcome:

I aim to produce a wide variety of experimental drawings featuring Japanese nature and man made structures. I want to dedicate a sketchbook to this, and perhaps make a digital sketchbook as well. I also want to looking at making a stop motion animation or some other form of moving image as I think this would help the environment come to life. I could also make a book. I just know that I want to make a series of images to show as much Japanese environment as possible, but in an organised fashion that makes sense.

I would like to expand my current knowledge of Japanese environments, perhaps how they change depending on weather or part of the country. Relating to working practice I aim to learn to not focus on a final outcome, and to instead explore lots of different avenues and to work more freely as this will hopefully result in me making more interesting work. I would also like to develop my drawing skills relating to mark making, and to try different styles of drawing as I usually like to draw literally, from observation.

Comments

Popular Posts